Friday, January 20, 2012

Two Toned Dining Tables

My friend who's getting married in June is furniture hunting and she found a dining set on Craigslist and wanted my advice on whether she should purchase it or not.

It was a great price, solid wood, two toned which she both loved. Except we were NOT fans of this particular tone of wood/black combination:


Craigslist
She said she feared the wood was too yellow...and she's absolutely right! This tone of wood reminds me old dorm furniture or bachelor pad furniture.


Apartment Therapy
See what I mean?


But I love the bones of the table (I'm not a fan of the chairs...).


She asked if she could stain the wood, which of course is totally doable and I would only advise her to buy it if she was going to stain it in a medium to dark tone.


However, if she were to go darker on the table top, I think she needs to everything that is currently black. I suggested a white or a cream.



Source
This is traditional, sweet and lovely! The contrast of the two tones is beautiful! I do love modern white furniture but this is just so inviting don't you think? Great for a newlywed couple!


Recently I received a comment from a fellow Canuck, Urbane Jane who posted a table that she refinished. Check out her process here.


Urbane Jane
Isn't it a beauty?! She ended up selling it on Craigslist since she had no room for it in her home. If I lived in Ontario, I would have snatched it right up!


So what about you guys? 
Are you for two toned furniture?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nancy!
    Thanks for featuring my table :)
    I share the same sentiments for two-toned tables... and I'm excited to see what you're going to do with the frames! I also went thrifting this weekend and picked up a couple. :)
    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete