Friday, January 13, 2012

Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Cookies

We had some left over buttermilk from the safari cake I made last week and I didn't want it to go to waste and since we also had a lot of chocolate chips left from the chocolate pretzel sticks, I decided to make buttermilk chocolate chip cookies. 


Yes... I should be working on school projects but I had a frustrating morning dealing with my lost passport so I just wanted to take the day off. 


I've never made buttermilk cookies before. Other than the safari cake, I have never used buttermilk for anything before.


I found this recipe that sounded yummy. "Melt in your mouth" cookies... How could you go wrong?


Off to my sister's house I went. Good thing we only live a block apart. 
My 4 year old nephew was on hand to help me out! I love this kid. I need to get him a little chef's hat.






This time I was WAY more relaxed about him helping and I didn't care if the measurements were precise. It also helped that this recipe was so easy! We had everything mixed together in no time. 


I don't have a mixer so I used a hand whisk. Not the best idea. We had to use a wooden spoon to get all the batter out of the whisk. If you're doing it by hand, ignore the whisk and just use a wooden spoon to mix everything together.


The batter was REALLY sticky. Instead of using our hands to make balls, we just used a teaspoon and had to tap it several times against the pan to get the batter out. But this isn't a big deal. It's probably because it's so wet that they come out so soft and moist. These really do melt in your mouth! 


The only thing that makes me second guess this recipe is that it calls for a lot of sugar. I didn't realize this until we were halfway through. Haha...
I ended up using all my sister's sugar, including her sugar packages that she uses for camping trips!!


Next time I might look for a different recipe with less sugar.


Source
I didn't have a camera with me but this is pretty much how they look except ours turned out a bit fatter but that will vary depending on how big you make the dough balls. 


Our next baking session will be cupcakes!


Happy Baking!

1 comment:

  1. ? Why didn't you use my mixer? Oops. I guess I should have mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete