Monday, January 30, 2012

"Antique" Skeleton Key Art


I have a problem.

I am obsessed with frames.

In the past week I've posted about thrift store frames here and here.

And here's another one!

A couple weeks ago I was at Michael's and saw these "antique" skeleton keys for $1.50.

Life: Designed
I was so happy to find them there because I LOVE skeleton keys and have been looking for some cheap ones for a while. Looks like I wasn't the only one seeing as there were only handful left. I wish I picked up more than 2! I went back the next day and they were all gone.

I know skeleton key art was all over the internet a couple years ago... but that's okay. These aren't trendy to me. They're classic!

Poster
I love that abacus! When I was a child, I watched my dad do all his math on an abacus. I have no idea how to use one but I think they're pretty sweet.

So... last weekend I was completely procrastinating from working on my school project so I decided it was time to do something with these keys.

I found this little 80's frame from.... the thrift store (surprise surprise).

Life: Designed
 Bring on the spray paint!

Life: Designed




The brass frame didn't take to the paint as smoothly as wood but that was fine by me. I like that the gold is still showing up in places.

I printed off a random sheet of music from the internet- it's some sort of polka song.. haha.


Life: Designed
Life: Designed



Life: Designed




I spray painted the frame in an box so I couldn't get to the sides at first. Once the front was dry, I was going to flip it on it's side but then I realized it was fabulous as is! I LOVE the two toned look! The gold edges have little black flecks from the spray paint and it adds to the antique look.Don't you just love happy accidents?


Total cost of this little DIY project: $3! Love the price tag, love the look!





































22 comments:

  1. I bought a bunch of those keys also. You motivated me to do something with them. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

      Delete
  2. Such an inspiring DIY project!
    I'm pinning it on my pinterest board 'DIY projects! Thanks for sharing, I've also framed my favorite quote this weekend, you can take a look at it at my last post!

    Happy Monday!

    Maria
    http://www.unidentifiedlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nance! That would totally fit well with the music theme of quebec st eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such good ideas Nancy!!! Can I steal your brain? Lol. And which thrift stores do you go to? You gotta let me in on that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May- you and I need to combine brains and then we'll take over the world! I'm gonna email you some places right now!

      Delete
    2. That "take over the world" comment reminded me of Pinky and the Brain. You'd be the Brain Hehe. Hooray for Thrift Stores! Thanks Nancy!

      Delete
  5. I love this project and the pice tag as well! It is a super-chic look for pennies. Happy accidents are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whitney! If only all projects were this cheap and happy!! =)

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this look, I also love the way you combined vintage and new (with the sheet music)! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love this project! Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Muchas Gracias! I'm going to Chile in a couple months- I need to practice my Spanish!! =)

      Delete
  8. I love this look! How did you get the key to stay?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nancy!! I absolutely love this and featured it on my blog :) Feel free to grab a button! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too LOVE skeleton keys!! I really like the idea to frame it. And your frame turned out great. Gotta love spray paint. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok i'm totally addicted to your blog!!! Love your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where in Michael's did you find the keys? I've been looking all over for skelton keys and can't find any. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenna! It was in their $1.50 bin aisle. I haven't seen them in a while which is too bad because I want to buy a bunch more! Try Etsy! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete